Sexual & Sex Addiction Counseling
At CRSR we provided private and comprehensive sex addiction counseling and treatment services in Albuquerque, NM.
More than 30 million people are thought to suffer from a sexual addiction in the United States alone.
Sex addiction, or hypersexuality, is a compulsive and progressive intimacy disorder characterized by sexual thoughts, urges and behaviors, despite negative consequences on one’s health, job, relationships and family. Like all addictions, its negative impact on one’s self and family members increases as the disorder progresses. Even when the danger is clear, risk-taking behaviors occur regardless of the potential consequences. Usually repeated attempts to stop (or limit) sexual thoughts and behaviors are unsuccessful. There can be cycles of binge sexual behavior with periods of abstinence. Denial and minimizing frequently accompany these relational problems.
Signs of Sexual Addiction:
- A partner threatening to leave because of your sexual behavior
- Loss of time due to the viewing of pornography
- Risking losing your job due to pornography use or chatting at work
- Obsessive use of applications such as Grindr, Scruff, or Bang with Friends
- A lack of sex life with your partner, but promiscuity outside of your relationship
- Hiding your sexual behavior from your partner
- Compulsive masturbation
- Impulsive, repetitive use of pornography, usually online but also in more traditional forms
- A pattern of casual or anonymous sex, usually facilitated by hookup websites or apps
- Multiple affairs or a pattern of brief “serial” relationships, usually facilitated by dating websites or apps
- Repeated involvement with strip clubs, adult bookstores and other sex-focused environments, including online environments (virtual reality sex games, sexualized chat sites, etc.)
- Engaging in prostitution and/or sensual massage (hiring or providing)
- A pattern of having unprotected sex
- Seeking out sexual experiences without considering the possible consequences
- Misdemeanor sexual offenses such as voyeurism and exhibitionism
- Compulsive use of smartphone cameras and webcams for sexual purposes (webcam sex, sexualized chat, sexting, etc.)
Want more information to further assess:
The Sexual Addiction Screening Test (SAST) is designed to assist in the assessment of sexually compulsive behavior which may indicate the presence of sex addiction. This is a confidential test; only you see the results.
Transform pain and shame to resilience, joy, and healthy intimacy
Find and walk a path out of addiction and intimacy disorder. CRHS specializes in private and comprehensive sexual recovery. You are not alone. We can help.